top of page
Bandeau- [75%].jpg
Postcard-cropped.jpg

The Cistercian abbey of Pontigny dates from the 12th century, but it was not until the beginning of the 18th century that it hosted, on a large sculpted platform, a single positive.  Towards1773, a large 17th century organ, coming from Châlons-en-Champagne, was installed by the organ makerJean RICHARD (c. 1732-1815).

Fifty years later, the local priest sold part of the pipes. The instrument was restored in 1868 by Father Piellard, then in 1887 by the organ builder Paul Chazelle.

Pontigny_ (8).jpg

The organ was damaged in 1943 by the explosion of a munitions train at Pontigny station. It is "restored" between 1957 and 1961 by R. Masset, of the Gutschenritter Establishments.   Lack of maintenance,hebecame almost silent in the 1990s.

Since 2002, the “Orgue à Pontigny” association has contributed to the knowledge, conservation and restoration of the great historic organ of the commune of Pontigny.   Thanks to her, the piping of the instrument was classified as a historic monument, and a major renovation could be undertaken, reactivated in 2015 under the presidency of Serge Scapol and the assignee at the time Jean-Marie Ploux.

 

Jean Luc Benoît

 

bottom of page